King Edward III considered it to be one of the strongest castles in the Northern Marches.
After the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314, Edward II fled from Tynemouth by ship.
) is a town and a historic borough in Tyne and Wear, England at the mouth of the River Tyne.
Historically part of Northumberland, the modern town of Tynemouth includes North Shields and Cullercoats and had a 2011 population of 67,519.
As a result of this, summer highs are subdued and according to the Met Office 1981–2010 data around 18 °C (64 °F).
As a consequence of its marine influence, winter lows especially are very mild for a Northern English location.
Located on Huntington Terrace, Kings Priory School (formerly The King's School) is a co-educational academy with over 800 pupils aged between 4 and 18.
Though founded in Jarrow in 1860, the school moved to its present site in Tynemouth in 1865 originally providing a private education for local boys.
In the 7th century a monastery was built in Tynemouth and later fortified. Three crowns still adorn the North Tyneside coat of arms. The queens of Edward I and Edward II stayed in the Castle and Priory while their husbands were campaigning in Scotland.Longsands is the next beach to the north, an expanse of fine sand 1200 yards long, lying between the former Tynemouth outdoor swimming pool and Cullercoats to the north.In 2013, Longsands was voted one of the best beaches in the country by users of the world’s largest travel site Trip Advisor. Plummer, it was unveiled on 13 October 1903 by William Brodrick, 8th Viscount Midleton.It was popular with Victorian bathers and is now home to Tynemouth Rowing Club and the local sailing club.King Edward's Bay (possibly a reference to Edward II) is a small beach on the north side of the Priory, sheltered on three sides by cliffs and reached by stairways, or, by the fit and adventurous who understand the weather and tides, over the rocks round the promontories on the north or south sides.Its ornate Victorian ironwork canopies have earned it Grade II listed status.